Tuesday 7 July 2009

Jeremy Atkinson clogmaker

Until a couple of years ago Jeremy was the only clogmaker in the country still using the traditional knives to hand cut clog soles and make traditional British clogs. As was traditional in the mill towns of Lancashire and Rural Wales I have a pair of working clogs and a pair of posh clogs, I also have a pair of his shoes and sandles so I am a bit of a fan.


The knives are not easy to use but once mastered give tremendous controled power and leverage.
British clogs always had a wooden sole (alder, birch or sycamore) and leather uper unlike the Dutch and French sabot. There is a lot of understanding that goes into making a clog that is comfortable to walk in rather than just stand still in and Jeremy's just work.


There is some footage of Jeremy using the knives in this video about my wife Nicola's research into how craft skills are passed on



That film was taken at St Fagan's museum in Cardiff whilst Jeremy was teaching Geraint who now makes clogs there. So now we have at least two makers hand cutting soles, the craft is still endangered but perhaops not quite so critically so.


This is Jeremy's website though I must say he is notoriously difficult to buy a pair of clogs from, you have to nag for a while.

http://www.clogmaker.co.uk/

4 comments:

  1. A simple life is good with me. I don't need a whole lot. For me, a T-shirt, a pair of shorts, barefoot on a beach and I'm happy. See the link below for more info.


    #pair
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d opt to apply certain while using the content in this little blog whether or not you do not mind. Natually I’ll provide a link on your own internet weblog. Appreciate your sharing. jungkook jacket

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the right weblog for everyone who wishes to be familiar with this topic. You are aware of a great deal of its virtually tricky to argue to you (not too I personally would want…HaHa). android 21 lab coat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think About Fashion choose celebrity fashions to grow in your circle just like Taylor Swift Red Coat and grab more about style

    ReplyDelete